Re: Linux does not boot after a MacOSX upgrade

Michael Lake wrote:
>>OK I have booted from CD1 and got myself a # shell.
>>mounted /dev/hda11 under /target and I was able to cat
>>/target/etc/yaboot.conf and all was fine with it.
>>Then followed the above. All worked OK.
>>(I liked the blessing)
>>
>>Rebooted the machine and at the boot: prompt hit 'l' for linux, it
>>enters the second boot stage then still starts the kernel and exits with
>>openpic exit. So the error is still the same.

>>Can someone explain what the OSX upgrade might have done. I would have
>>thought that it would have just blown away the bootloader for linux and

> No, at least I sure can't. The only thing I can think of is maybe it
> screwed up the filesystem on that partition; maybe e2fsck in the
> installer, before mounting it, might help. After that, try replacing
> the kernel with a backup?

Thanks. It was a standard 2.4.20 kernel so I should find that one on the
CD1 and copy that over to my hard disk. Im a bit hesitant about
replacing a kernel that was working fine just before the OSX upgrade.
I will run the e2fsck and see what gives on that and I will look ta the
kernel filesize too and see what it is. Maybe even compare to the CD1 one.

PS. I just tried resetting the NVRAM params but that didnt fix the prob
either.

Mike

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.