Re: Linux does not boot after a MacOSX upgrade

Ah ha ...

I have got it booted from CD1 and now have a shell running. I came across a post to this newsgroup
    * Subject: Debian not booting after OSX (re)install.
    * From: Philippe Sainte-Marie <psm@wooe.org>
    * Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:17:55 +0200
<quote>
	"I just reinstalled my Mac OS X a few days ago and today
	i tried to boot into Debian.
	As always after a osx reinstall, i have to manually
	boot into OF and then enter into the yaboot located in the
	bootstrap: boot hd:X,yaboot
	it doæs load yaboot correctly, then i select my kernel image
	it begins to load and then stop after the:
	Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.4.21-ben2
	and then stops the machine (shutdown) after:
	'openpic: exit'
	That kernel was just working fine a week ago.
	Any hints?
<end quote>

There were no hints for him alas :-(

It looks like he may have had the same prob I am having but that was back in July.

Mike Lake wrote:
Hi all,

I need a bit of guidance in getting a Ti PowerBook booting.
Today I allowed Apple to upgrade the OSX on my machine and now Linux
does not boot. This may be a problem wiht the just released today 40MB
patches so all take care.

The machine is a Ti Powerbook running Debian stable. The Linux is on
partition 11 and is from what I remember ithe kernel is just vmlinuz either in / or
/boot. I boot with yaboot 1.3.6 and from the prompt Linux is the
default. MacOSX is an option.

It was working fine then oday I did an OSX update. OSX works fine still
(except M$ Explorer now crashes but that is no loss) but when I go to
boot linux this is what happens.

The first stage boot loader works and I get ...
boot: l    <--- I hit X for MaxOSX and it works OK and into OSX
           < I hit l or linux single and I get...

second stage boot loader starts
Welcome to yaboot 1.3.6
boot:    <--- wait

The kernel starts to boot Welcome to Linux kernel 2.4.20
......etc etc

then it fails at the text only a few lines down..
openpic spurious
openpic exit

The laptop then shuts down

This suggests that the bootloader is ok but that the kernel has been
clobbered. I then tried booting from a debian boot CD (CD number 1) and
it does not boot with either the 'install' or the 'install-safe' images.

I googled for this openpic error but I get refs to where ppl had kernel
errors after trying a new kernel and had this problem. I havent compiled a new kernel just had an OSX upgrade.

Mike

--
Mike Lake
Caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.