Re: XFree dramatic memory leak?

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 06:52, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

> I just realized that the daily updatedb run caused this 1G Ti 15"
> powerbook to swap (with just some apps open under X).

BTW, 2.6 kernels handle this much better than 2.4 kernels. :)

> And then I saw that XFree is taking 1.5G virtual memory and 800M Res :-(
>
> It seems to be growing when one uses 2 displays ... now (after 4 days
> uptime ) it is already at 439/272m ... can one somehow find out what
> leaks ?

One thing to keep in mind is that the X server can use resources on
behalf of clients, so the leak(s) could actually be in the clients. The
restest utility available from http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/ (at the
very bottom) shows those resources, beware that running it in an X
terminal may cause a deadlock unless you redirect the output.

That being said, I seem to remember other reports about the server
leaking with multihead...