several problems with Xserve, kernel and debian

Hi everybody,
I've got several problems with installing debian on Xserve (dual cpu).
I've installed YDL first then debootstrap'ed basic debian.
Config went ok and everything seems to be fine until when I'm trying to
install kernel.
I've build several kernel images (on my ibook) using my config's and
one's from YDL each one of them end up in Kernel panic: VFS Unable to
mount root fs on 08:01
I've spend two days on that and no luck, perchaps someone could give me
some tips on that (or .config file?) Please?
Many thanks.
G.