swap ctrl<->caps lock problem

Hi,
while trying to map caps lock as ctrl on my 12" powerbook I noticed that
the keypress and release events don't seem to work as expected. While
e.g. alt generates the "KeyPress-Event" when pushing down the key and
the KeyRelease-Event when letting it go "caps lock" seems to generate
the events differently:
 - it generates KeyPress+KeyRelease when pushing down the key and the LED was off
 - it generates KeyPress+KeyRelease when releasing the key and the LED was on
Using showkey on the console confirms this behaviour. This seems to
caused by
                /*
                 * adb kludge!! Imitate pc caps lock behaviour by
                 * generating an up/down event for each time caps
                 * is pressed/released. Also, makes sure that the
                 * LED are handled.  atong@uiuc.edu
                 */
                 case 0x39:
                        handle_scancode(0x39, 1);
                        handle_scancode(0x39, 0);
                        tasklet_schedule(&keyboard_tasklet);
                        return;
in mac_keyb.c. What exactly is the reason for not generating a keyup on
release and keydown on press?
Regards,
 -- Guido