Airport Extreme-compatible card that supports Debian Linux?

A fair mount of readers of lists seems to be frustated - like me - about the lack of Linux-support of the Airport Extreme-card (with the Broadcom-chipset as found (as an option) in the Powerbook G4 12"and 17" models).

Last week I had a phone call with the European Business Developement Manager of Broadcom: they only have Linux-drivers for using their chipset as an acess point and they only provide them to OEMs. They have no plans for writing Linux-drivers for this chipset as a client (too small a market, the Dells and HPs dont't ask for it - as he said) ) and they don't provide support to the open source community to able them to write the drivers themselves (they are afraid of their intellectual properties).

So, their seems to be 3 options right now:
1. avoiding these models
2. reverse engineering the Windows drivers
3. alternative WiFi-card for these laptops.

Option 1. is not reasonable for me: I just spent my last money on my new Powerbook G4 12".
Option 2. is difficult, but might be doable.
Option 3. sounds interesting.

My questions are:
1. Does anyone know of an initiative by open source programmers to write Linux-drivers for the Airport Extreme-card (by reverse engineering the Windows-drivers of using the Linux-drivers provided by Broadcom)? 2. Is there an Airport Extreme-compataible card on the market (yet) with a Linux driver? I might have some money left for such a card ;-).

Wout Tankink