RE: ?how to stop beeps at X startup

The scripts that start your dm are not in any initrc file.  they are located
in /etc/init.d (eg: gdm,kdm, xdm) etc.  they are linked to the appropriate
run level "rc" directory (eg. /etc/rc5.d).  the reason it shows the "#do not
start" messages is because you picked gdm as your preferred dm.  don't
remember the exact file to change it ( I think  it's something like
/etc/X11/preferred_dm). so, if you want to check out how gdm is invoked,
check /etc/init.d/gdm script.  Make sure you make a backup of the original
_before_ you start changing it.

aside from this semi-related information, I can't really help you w/ the
beep question.  sorry.
ajay