Re: Translucent X Windows

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 20:19, J. Javier Maestro wrote:

> Here, there is a guy that is working on a nice hack for the X windows to
> support transparencies like MacOSX:
>
> http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unk6/transluxent/
>
> He gives a binary (I guess for i386) and source, but the source requires
> the XWindow source tree. Now... the question is... 8-)
>
> How difficult is to rebuild the X server??

Don't bother, transluXent fails to run with a GLX error. I mailed the
author about it quite a while ago but never got a reply.

If you want to try a cool alternative X server, I recommend XDirectFB.
It also does real translucency (although that's not yet accelerated on
Radeons) and other nice things.