Re: 2.4.21-ben2 issues: RTC, Thermal and RTAS

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, J. Javier Maestro wrote:

> On Aug Sun 24 2003 01:11, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, J. Javier Maestro wrote:
> >
> > > My last issue with the kernel is the Thermal Unit Assistant. I
> > > set the kernel options CONFIG_TAU and CONFIG_TAU_AVERAGE, but at boot
> > > time, I can read the message "Thermal Assist Unit not available". I was
> > > wondering if any of you running a PBook G4 has, again, managed to set
> > > this up.
> >
> > It doesn't work here, too:
> >
> > /var/log/kern.log:
> >
> > Aug 23 18:42:48 [ ... ] kernel: Thermal assist unit not available
> >
> > Excerpt from the kernel config here (2.4.21-ben2):
> >
> > CONFIG_TAU=y
> > # CONFIG_TAU_INT is not set
> > CONFIG_TAU_AVERAGE=y
>
> Same as me then :-(  would have been cool to have such a thing, although
> innacurate, there could have been ways of calibrating the device...
>
> a pity, isn't it?

Yes. But it seems to be a hardware issue, if I understand correctly
what I read in Configure.help.

The important point: It seems heat can become dangerous for the
lifetime of a machine:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2002/debian-powerpc-200204/msg00651.html

Apple writes the operating temperature of the machine is
50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C):

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

So in a heatwave as we had in Europe until recently (with temperatures
here in my flat until up to ~ 33 °C, no aircondition) I wouldn't rely
on a sensor, that might give me wrong values: I prefer to rely on the
thermometer in my room and the touch of my hand to the metal case of
the machine, shutting it down if I think the heat my damage it.

Wolfgang
--
Profile, Links:
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer