Re: Debian fitness :) [was: Re: X Crash after installing msttcorefonts, [ ... ]]

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, J. Javier Maestro wrote:

> On Aug Fri 22 2003 22:49, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> > > And you tried to do that by speculating that anybody contributing to
> > > Debian probably is a loser without a life?
> >
> > No. I was not talking about those contributing to Debian but on Debian
> > users:
> >
> > Quoting myself:
> > "Situations like that is why I say that Debian-Linux does not work for
> > people with a girl-friend or a family, or for folks who need to get a
> > job done on a computer in a reasonable amount of time. Or for folks
> > who simply like watching shadows on the wall (John Lennon :) or the
> > stars above them.
>
> <Karma neutral>
> Let's say the set of people with and without a girlfriend or a family
> running Debian GNU/Linux is denoted by X.
>
> Now, we all agree that if someone contributes to Debian as a debian
> developer, most surely he/she/it will be running Debian and/or any other
> distro/OS. So, after this fair assumption, we can denote Y the set of
> Debian developers and contributor.
>
> Thus, since it is clear from the above statements that Y is a subset of
> X, that is, Y is contained in X, then, by addressing X as you did,
> Wolfgang, in your previous emails, you are (I am sure not intentionally)
> addressing Y.
>
> So, yes, you were indeed talking, amongst others, about the people
> contributing to Debian.
> </Karma neutral>

OK, if you're really keen on a maths approach:

Y=Debian developpers (= *coders*)
Z=Debian Users (= *non-coders*)
X=Y+Z

Y usually knows enough on Linux so she or he does not need to "give
up"  friends, family etc. to understand Debian-Linux. So if one tries
to read my posts in the context of what I was writing I still think it
could be clear that I was trying to write primarily about users, and
no one else, when I wrote about family, girl-friends and people
kissing their computer screens.

I had hoped that people here could laugh about my picture of Debian
folks falling in love with a machine. I admit I probably was very
wrong with that hope, at least to some considerable extent.

So very clearly: if my big mouth was hurting anybody out there, I'm
definitely sorry about that.

And if this helps:

In the future you won't hear anything else than tech-talk from me
on this list: No politics. No sarcasm. No pictures.

Promise.

Wolfgang
--
Profile, Links: