Re: Why is my ibook getting so hot ?

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 02:50:01PM +0200, Kristian Peters wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Compared to OSX my iBook 900MHz is getting really hot. I'm using
> 2.4.21-ben2 currently, but a vanilla kernel is even worse.
> According to /proc/cpuinfo temperature is in normal range. There
> is no big difference if I descale cpu frequency to 400 MHz.
> Battery will only last for 3,0 hours then (instead of 3,3 under
> OSX). Even cpufreqd can't help lowering temperature..
>
> Any other suggestions ?

Lowering the TFT brightness will help a lot.

Another thing you should check is hard disk work. If you're using some
journal-enabled fs (eg: ext3), you should notice that your disk _never_
stops, because of the constant syncing of metadata.

IIRC, -benh kernels have some control over this, but I have not my
laptop nearby and on to check. I have ext3 and I think I configured it
(mount options, at /etc/fstab) to sync every 60 seconds, or so, instead
of every 5 seconds. Of course, you're having a lot more risk of data
loss, but that's no problem for me, as my first concern on my laptop is
battery time.

You can check the laptop-mode patch too. It does some nifty (and
dangerous) things as stoping your disk and deferring most data writes to
a single point, when it starts the disk, writes, and stops it again.

With those tricks, and using cpudynd to dynamically change between 400 &
800MHz, I usually get +4 hours of battery time.