Re: Finnish X11 keymap on iMac?

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Frank Murphy wrote:

> > > By Mac keyboard, you seem to mean USB keyboard.
> >
> > No, I mean Mac keyboard, as in keycaps layout.
> >
> > > The keys of the third-party keyboards are in the standard PC position,
> > > right?
> >
> > They are in the Mac position, since they are meant as replacements for the
> > narrow iMac keyboard by Apple.
>
> So, the <>| is between Z and left shift and the §½¶ is left of the 1 on all
> three keyboards, but on the third-party keyboards, pressing §½¶ generates the
> symbol from the <>| key (and vice-versa)?

Precisely.

> > > But, if the only problem with this keyboard is the meta-key problem you
> > > explained earlier, the simple xmodmap change below should fix it (without
> > > disabling deadkeys, of course).
> >
> > Inverted (smaller/greater/pipe) and (paragraph/one-half/degree), plus wrong
> > metakeys.
>
> Is this after you tried the xmodmap? Or before?

Before.

> > In essence, the Option/apple keys are treated as a Windows keys,
> > even though the physical position is different than on PC.
>
> Ah-ha. You are seeing the expected behavior. The key printed with the Apple
> logo is considered to be the same as the key printed with the Windows logo,
> regardless of position. You can change this if you want, but it's the
> default.
>
> > > I'd be interested to know what the linux scancodes and X keycodes are for
> > > these keys on i386 Linux. Are you able to try these on a PC? If so, try
> > > these commands on both:
> > >
> > > # from the console, then press the <>| and §½¶ keys
> > > $ showkey -s
> > > $ showkey -k
> >
> > See attached files.
>
> OK, I need you to annotate these files. Write in the codes that you get
> depending on which key you press. Otherwise, it's just guesswork for us.

It's as much guesswork for me.  I press them in the order:  normal, shift,
altgr.  first lesser/greater/pipe, then paragraph/half/degree.

> > > # Also, in X, press these keys with the keyboard in the xev window
> > > $ xev
> >
> > Haven't found any way to paste the output. :(
>
> In X, you can paste the selected text by pressing the middle mouse button. If
> you only have a 2-button mouse, it's possible to mimic a three-button mouse.
> Say 'yes' to the 'Emulate 3 button mouse?' question when running
> `dpg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86`

That's not what I meant.  the xev output is not scrollable and since xev takes
all crap running thru X, not just keypresses, then i cannot select the desired
output.

> > The console-data mac-usb-fi keymap uses the Left_alt as Mode_switch and
> > makes the left Apple key into a Left_alt, which works very well.
>
> Perhaps it works well for you, but it is very confusing for someone who sits
> at a new keyboard and looks at the keys to find out what they should do.

It works well, from the perspective that it provides nearly the same physical
kjeycaps location as a PC, that is the key just left of spacebar is used to
change console, in conjunction with ctrl.  it makes a LOT of sense.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/