Re: Help with X using ATI pci card?

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, W. Crowshaw wrote:
> Thanks for your response.   See my responsed below.
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 06:28:46PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 23:17, William Crowshaw wrote:
> > > 4) the ATI card I believe is a NexusGA, because it
> > >    matches specs on the ATI website.  But the chip
> > >    on it says "ATI Rage 128 3D AGP".
> >
> > Where exactly does it say that? All the other info you provide indicates
> > that it's a Mach64 chip in fact.
> >
> There's a large chip on the board that says:
> "3D Rage Pro AGP 2x
> 21543BUA22"
> The Product number on back of the board says:
> P/N 1024262022 ... the rest doesn't seem to matter
> as far as ATI product identification is concerned.
> The board itself says it was made in 1997.
> Now, since the chip said "3D Rage Pro AGP 2x"  I
> assumed it was a rage pro card.  But I couldn't

Yes, it's a 3D RAGE Pro.

> find a card matching my P/N at the ATI site that was
> built for macs.  (It was pulled from a PowerMac
> 9600).  The best I could find was one called a
> NexusGA made around that time.  It could, though, be
> a Xclaim3D. Additionally, my card does have a

It could be a Xclaim3D. AFAIK these were built with either a 3D RAGE II+ (like
mine) or a 3D RAGE Pro.

> smaller chip that says "Nexus GA 42601" on it.

That's probably the firmware ROM. So it contains `Nexus GA' firmware, and is
probably a Nexus GA ;-)

BTW, what connectors are there on the card? My Xclaim3D has a 15-pin VGA
connector and a Mac monitor connector.

> But then the kernel seem to recognize it
> as a Mach64 card.  X however recognizes it as both a
> ATI 3D Rage Pro and a Mach64, witness the X log:

Mach64 is the name for all ATI 64-bit graphics accelerators. It covers the
following families:
  - GX: earliest version, external clockchip and RAMDAC
  - CT: integrated clockchip and RAMDAC
  - VT: video extensions
  - GT: 3D extensions (i.e. 3D RAGE)
      o GT-B: 3D RAGE II and II+
      o GT-C: 3D RAGE Pro
  - LT: for laptops

> However, r128 X driver does not work on this card
> and reports "No devices detected".

Indeed, RAGE 128 is the next generation of ATI, using a 128-bit architecture.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds