Re: Some sound doesn't work yet

Tim Froggatt wrote:

Try to install SDL. I found more or less the same problems running
applications directly against oss/alsa as you do on the SB Live!, but
when I went through the  SDL sound wrapper it worked.

libsdll is already installed apparently. Is it possible to get all programs to go through an SDL wrapper, or can I only use applications that support this explicitly??

The application needs SDL support... Also, I don't think SDL supports mixing inputs (ARTS and ESD allow more than one application to send audio, OSS/ALSA/SDL doesn't...). But until the endian problems are fixed (do report them if you find out who is to blame, cause I have no idea if it is the driver or the applications) you'll have to use it.

Btw, what applications do you use?

I'm just messing about at the moment - trying to find ones that work. Kaboodle and Noatun got installed automatically with KDE 3.. They play MP3s and wavs fine, but when playing mpeg movies, the sound displays the endian problem... Different drivers for the different file-types I guess(?)

I've also tried out XMMS. I've downloaded an MPEG video plugin for it, which claims to use SDL... and the sound on movies is okay. XMMS can also play Amiga MODS via plugins, but these only work if I set them to use 8-bit audio. Again, seems like an endian issue.

I'll install mplayer as you suggest. But if I could get something which made all the applications work, then that would be best. But maybe that doesn't exist :-(

Well, MPlayer can play all of the above formats except mods... Your grand unified fix is basically to remove all the endian related bugs ;-)

--
AmigaOne dev list FAQ (when I say F, I mean F):
http://www.samfundet.no/~olegil/amiga/