Re: ibook2

Problem 1:
I can't record anything with my soundcard. Playing is no problem. I checked and found out that a call
   open("/dev/dsp", O_RDONLY);
fails, but
   open("/dev/dsp", O_WRONLY);
succeeds.

Some programs (like audacity) will therefore leave my soundcard in a bad state: I am not able to play any sound afterwards, either.

Used sound drivers:
 > lsmod
dmasound_pmac          70640   0  (autoclean)
dmasound_core          13496   0  (autoclean) [dmasound_pmac]
soundcore               4616   3  (autoclean) [dmasound_core]

If you are talking about the little microphone top-right of the screen:
IIRC you will have to wait for the 2.6 kernels with alsa since dmasound
isn't supporting recording (I guess externel USB Microphones won't work
either).
Concerning a broken sound which here is sometimes caused by quake2 I
simply reload the soundmodules (rmmod..insmod) via a script and
everything is back (also I sometimes have to kill the app that is using
dsp [fuser /dev/dsp]).

     -Thomas