Re: Kernel configuration for USB mouse

Frank,
Thanks for your answer.

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Frank Murphy wrote:

> > On a Powerbook G4:
> > For a Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse:
> >
> > Do I need the CONFIG_MOUSE (or some other) option enabled in the
> > 2.4.21-ben2 Kernel, if I want to plug the mouse to an USB connector?
> >
> > Or will the mouse be run by enabling one of the CONFIG_USB options in this
> > kernel?
>
> I'm not positive what the exact kernel options are for this, but running the
> Debian pre-compiled 2.4.20 kernel works with my USB mouse.

... the point is, that with pre-compiled kernels, AfAIK, I'll have a lot
of non-modular capabilities built-in to the kernel, thus wasting RAM (and
speed?) that otherwise could be used for stuff I really need on the
machine.

So compiling myself is option #1 (I'm definitely not keen on extra-work at
this beautiful summer here ... :)
If it will not work, I'll probably use the options from kernel .configs I
found on www ... But most of the time I'm not a friend of copying without
understanding.
That's why I came here ... :)

Thanks again, Frank.

Best Regards,