Re: Another quik/beige G3 boot attempt

> On 12 Jul, this message from Simon Vallet echoed through cyberspace:
> >> I don't really believe changing load-base makes a difference ...
> >
> > the NetBSD people say that this may help :
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-claim-failed
>
> I'm not sure all their OF explanations are correct.

I guess you were both right : I tried many possible combinations of load-base/real-base, with no success...

> > don't know if it is the same under Linux, thoug.
>
> There won't be any difference on the OF side... OF isn't changed by the
> OS :-)

Of course, but I can remember I had to change the real-base on an older mac because the kernel was too big (OF was not changed, but affected)

> I have no idea, I'm lucky enough to not need BootX, and have gotten rid
> of MacOS...

Maybe I'll have to keep a MacOS partition :-(, but I still want to try some things :
- in OF, when I 'dev' to '/pci/mac-io/ide@20000' (first ide) and 'ls' there, i get the following :
/disk@0,0
/disk@0,0
and I would have expected:
/disk@0,0 (master)
/disk@1,0 (slave)

could this confuse quik ?

- do the limitations listed there :
http://mike.quintero.staff.noctrl.edu/slackintosh/index-2002-07-12.html
still apply ?

- I noticed the presence of a quik-1.3.1.tar.gz  at http://www.cpu.lu/~mlan/ftp/
Is this version still pertinent ? I use quik 2.0... could the changes have break something ?

I just want to be sure to try everything before using BootX...

Simon
--
Simon Vallet
Institut National Agronomique Paris-Grignon

3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34?/mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34?/mn)