Re: Snapshot backup of debian installation

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, befu wrote:
>

>> Recently I tried to make a snapshot backup (mirroring, cloning) of my 1GB
>> debian installation partition. For that purpose I prepared an empty 2GB
>> LINUX partition on my external FireWire drive.
>> Within MacOS X  and having Ext2FS_1.0a3 installed I first cloned my
>> installation to the FireWire partition with CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner, by Mike
>> Bombich). That took me about 2,5 hours. My intention was to update this
>> snapshot from time to time with the rsync -av --delete command in MacOS X.
>> So I used rsync after CCC. When I booted into the cloned snapshot, the
>> system was able to boot and I could use kde as normal. But I think some of
>> the symbolic or hard links were broken. So I don't think the installation
>> was really cloned and usable for a back-cloning.
>>
>> What is you recommendation of such an approach? I also thought of an rsync
>> within debian. But to be able to do this I need PCMCIA support on my
>> Wallstreet G3 (for my FireWire PCMCIA card) and FireWire support and
>> function, which I still couldn't get to work. I also would prefer to do the
>> backup within MacOS X as it is my main working area.
>>
>> I use woody with the 2.4.21ben2 kernel.
>>

> _I_ would do it from Linux, initially using 'cp -a' or
> 'tar cl <and some other options> <mount points to backup> \
> | tar xpC /mnt/firewire'
> Preferably, in single-user mode.

I have an Old World Mac (Wallstreet) and have to boot with BootX from OS 9.
So the single-user mode from within LINUX is no option. Additionally I can't
get PCMCIA and FireWire to work. So there is no other option than to do it
within MacOS X (or 9?). Of course if I had a second LINUX partition, I could
use your recommended commands from there, but still I haven't got the
FireWire to work.
So, is there a possibility to do it from MacOS X?

--

TIA
befu