Re: di & net-initrd & powerpc

Rolf Brudeseth wrote:

I got the 'net-initrd' image for powerpc from:
http://www.soziologie.ch/users/steinlin/d-i/

I try to run it on an IBM 44P-170; however, it goes into an infinite loop:

~snip
Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
Cannot open question file /var/lib/cdebconf/questions.dat
readlink: /proc/self/fd/0: No such file or directory
Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
Cannot open question file /var/lib/cdebconf/questions.dat
Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
~snip

I guess it is because the 'templates.dat' and 'questions.dat' files are
missing?
These two files should be created automatically. The message is a bit
missleading because it should better say "Could not open foo, created
new foo."
I think your problem may be related to the missing /proc/self/fd/0,
probably /proc is not mounted. I had similar problems if the kernel
module unix.o did not load. You have to use not only net-initrd.gz but
also the vmlinux kernel on my website. You can not build your own
kernel because then symbols will not match those of the kernel modules
on the initrd. If you need to use a custom kernel you will also have to
build your own installer image.
You also have to make sure, that the first process executed is /linuxrc and not /sbin/init. If you use another booting method than my yaboot with yaboot.conf you have to supply "init=/linuxrc" as boot parameter. It seems a little bit strange but in some cases the kernel does not start /linuxrc itself on an initrd if /sbin/init is also present eventhough I think it should call /linuxrc in any case on initial ramdisks.

But probably someone else on debian-boot or debian-powerpc will know
more about this problem.

gaudenz

# ls -Rla /export/di/root_fs/var/lib/cdebconf
/export/di/root_fs/var/lib/cdebconf:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx    4 root     root          112 1969-12-31 18:00 .
drwxrwxrwx    5 root     root          128 1969-12-31 18:00 ..
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root           48 1969-12-31 18:00 questions
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root           48 1969-12-31 18:00 templates

/export/di/root_fs/var/lib/cdebconf/questions:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root           48 1969-12-31 18:00 .
drwxrwxrwx    4 root     root          112 1969-12-31 18:00 ..

/export/di/root_fs/var/lib/cdebconf/templates:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root           48 1969-12-31 18:00 .
drwxrwxrwx    4 root     root          112 1969-12-31 18:00 ..

If this is the problem, how do I obtain/create these files?

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth
rolfb@us.ibm.com