Re: iMac static

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 07:45 AM, cevans@fallen.eml.cc wrote:

The main problem with the iMac static is that if it has been reported
it's not easy to find. (Try doing a search for imac and static...)

Quite true. The few references I've found have been on Yellow Dog and Mandrake mailing lists, and none of them are particularly enlightening.

My observations are that sound worked under the old kernel but apparently
broke when the sound area was redone. I've found some suggestion that
it's a byte order problem.

What kernel number? I've just tried both Mandrake 8.2 and Yellow Dog 2.3 with 2.2.x kernels. The former had no sound at all, the latter the same whining static.

<snip>

. I got the impression at one point that if I could get
dmasound_pmac to stay at 8 bit the problem would go away.

I think I tried that, months ago when I first installed Mdk 8.2 ppc - didn't work. Can't remember the details now.

The short of it is, to try alsa, I need an up to date, ppc specific
howto. (I'm running silent since the hisses echoing my cursor movements
is worrying the technician in me.)

I think alsa could be the answer - but I too need a howto.

What I do know (this is based on my slot loading DVD iMac but may have
wider application):
  Sound once worked, now it half works.
  This is a known problem.
Many suggestions have been made by people who don't have to do it, many
  have been based on encouraging newbies to hack drivers.
  i2c, while needed on some is not loaded or needed on this model.
soundcore and dmasound are ok, but silent. dmasound_pmac completes the
  trio and brings the hiss/
  The aleged KDE problem appears to be based on DMA/ALSA compatability
  issues and the fact that most sound packages, including arts have
  multiple versions and dependencies that can leave fragments of other
  systems installed. (I don't know too much about this dependency issue
  since I'm hardly a Linux guru, but I do think that arts was having
  issues from what I saw while doing multipe installs and reconfiguring
  everything. I've also read that in the end, arts doesn't like DMA
  sound.

I tried Mandrake 9.1 ppc without KDE and still got the hiss. There was a post on osnews.com ages ago, from someone saying he'd been told it was a KDE problem, but that it definitely wasn't. I think he said alsa was the answer. (Annoyingly, I've lost the url.)

John