Re: Installing printer on PMac 8600

On (25/06/03 16:18), Wim wrote:
> I've just succeeded in installing the base-system of Debian 2.2.20 on my
> PowerMac 8600/250. The modem on /dev/ttyS0 is working fine and now I'm
> trying to get my printer running.
>
> It's an Apple Personal Laserwriter 320 and connected to the printerport,
> assuming it's /dev/ttyS1.
>
> I use LPRng (3.8.10-1.2) and apsfilter (7.2.2-3).
>
> lp <file> becomes visable in the queue with status:
>
> Cannot open '/dev/ttyS1' - Permission denied, attempt 1, sleeping 10 at
> 15:44:59.026
>
> lp as root and user gives the same result.
>
> Any suggestions or help is welcome.

I can't help you with your specific problem but would suggest that you
upgrade to woody which is the current stable release:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html

However, if you're working off a dial-up connection it is probably
preferable to obtain the requisite CD's.  Debian 3.0 (woody) solved a
number of issues in potato (2.2).  My 8100/80 wouldn't really function
until I upgraded.

HTH

Clive