Re: brother hl-1440 on usb with CUPS

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 09:24:24AM -0400, Pisupati, Ajay wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> 	did you make sure that the printer is attached to the correct
> /dev/usb/lpx file?

well, I don't actually know how to check whether the printer is
actually "attached" to /dev/usb/lp0, which is the device assigned to
it by cups.  /dev/usb/lp0 exists, but cat /dev/usb/lp0 gives no
output.

The message I see about the printer in dmesg is:

usb.c: registered new driver usblp
printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x000D
printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver

I don't see any indication of which device the printer is assigned to.

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices gives (among other things):
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usblp
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms

should this tell me the device number somehow?

> correct permissions?
these are the permissions:

matts-mac:~# ll /dev/usb/lp0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp       180,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/usb/lp0

looks right, doesn't it?

>Do your printer need a PPD file as
> described in www.cups.org/cups-help.html?

I don't think I need to find another ppd file -- linuxprinting.org
says the HL-1440 works "perfectly" with linux, and I'm using the ppd
recommended by foomatic.

so, what do you think?

matt

 Message-----