Re: powerbook 17" install

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 15:21, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> I've just purchased a powerbook 17".  I've tried (unsuccessfully)
> installing debian using various howtos on the Net.  I managed to get the
> machine to boot and run the installer using the recent "boot-floppies"
> in the woody distro, but the installer had problems finding any hard
> disks.  I decided to extract the kernel from the 2.4.20 deb package and
> give that a go.  It works better in that the hard disk is now
> recognisable and I have managed to partition it and initialise the
> partitions using mke2fs and mkswap :)
>
> .../...

This should be a FAQ now but...

So, to get that powerbook to work, you need

 - A fairly recent kernel, I recomment some 2.4.20-ben10 or 2.4.21-ben1
at least

 - Pass "nol3" to the kernel command line to disable the L3 cache which
is currently causing me trouble on this machine (data corruption)

 - Make sure the kernel is compiled with the new config option to move
the ATA/100 to "hda", that will make things easier

Ben.