Re: updated kernel problem

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:12:04AM +0100, Joss Winn wrote:
> Sven,
>
> I just grabbed your 2.4.20-4 pmac build and I've rebooted and it's fine.

:)))

> Two things that seem different from previous kernel upgrades (I
> could just have missed these before):
>
> It didn't automatically create the symbolic link from /vmlinux ->
> /boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-powerpc

Because you changed the symlink by hand, and then dpkg noticed that and
didn't do it ?

Try purging the package, downgrading to the -2 package, and then
upgrading to -4, and tell me what happened to the symlink then, ideally
you could also use script to send me a full log of what happened. just
type script /tmp/powerpc.log before and exit afterward, and send me the
/tmp/powerpc.log file.

> It left my old link as it was and I made the changes by hand.
>
> and I've also found this in /boot/ for the first time:
>
> vmlinux.coff-2.4.20-powerpc
>
> What is it?

Pre-yaboot stuff needed coff kernels. coff is i think the executable
format of older macs or something such, i don't really know, but will
investigate.

> Anyway, thanks for correcting the problem so quickly.

No problem, i created the mess for others, so i should fix it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther