A major and minor question

First, is there a way (ie .conf) to set my NumLock to on automatically?

Second, and this is important, for me at least. When I get my system up
to speed and take it online, with wvdial, is there anything standard or
that I might have added that would use the connection, or the login data
from wvdial to connect to any services? I'm on a borrowed connection and
if this thing snagged my host's mail or something because I missed a
manual it would be a problem. (Mandrake can't use my laptop's modem so
all my online to date was with other OSes.)

Oh, and why does my CD set,  configured at install and working for
dselect and apparently apt, not show up in aptitude?

Thanks,
C Evans
" . . . "