2 kernel issues: firewire hard drive, ethernet

Hi folks,

In a recent debian reinstall, trying to get a couple of things to work right together.

I have an 80-gig firewire hard drive, works fine under OS9, connected
to my B&W G3, which now runs Debian Woody (mostly) from a SCSI
internal hard drive (the drive I currently have in ATA is broken).
Trying to get the drive to work, I rolled my own 2.4.20 kernel using
kernel-source-2.4.20 without the benh patch (when I triedto apply the
patch, I got a message "doesn't apply cleanly").  When I rebooted I
couldn't get ethernet to work, even though I enabled just about
everything I could in the networking department.  Is this because I
din't apply the patch?  Can anyone tell me how to patch the 2.4.20
kernel?

Anyway, when 2.4.20 didn't work, I got the source for 2.4.18, applied
the patch, compiled, rebooted, and ethernet worked fine.  I was also
able to load iee1394, pcilynx,raw1394, and sbp2 no problem, and
gscanbus showstwo nodes: "S400 UniBrain FireBoard 400" and "S400
Oxford Smiconductor Ltd".  Since my firewire enclosure uses the Oxford
chipset I assume that the second node is the hard drive.  But I can't
get any more information about the device -- and I certainly can't
read any partitions off of it.

>From hunting around, I wonder if part of the problem is that "SCSI
Disk Support" is compiled directly into my kernel, instead of being
modular.  I did that 'cause I need to boot off of scsi, since the ATA
doesn't work.  Hints from old mailing list postings suggest loading
sd_mod AFTER loading sbp2 -- but I don't think I can do that, can I?!?

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm pretty lost at this point.

Thanks for the help,

Matt