Re: Getting Dual Independent Heads to work on Debian(sid) on iBook

Ben,

Thanks for the information. I used fbset -x and updated XF86Config-4
accordingly.

All of the test results from my original post were without using the
kernel fbdev driver. I just now went ahead and added Option "UseFBDev"
to the lcd-related device section in XF86Config-4 and set BusID to
0:16:0 in both device sections and now the lcd flickering is gone but
both screens are yellow and I am still in clone mode.If I just comment
out the Option "UseFBDev" then restart the X server then the lcd
flickering returns (and both screens are still yellowish etc.).

Given this result I tried comparing the sections of code in the kernel
fbdev driver and the XF86 radeon driver that sets up the PLL and there
was just a few minor diff's in the default min/max values. I went ahead
and changed these to match and recompiled/installed XFree86 4.3 etc. but
it didn't make any difference...the flickering still occured. Maybe I am
looking at the wrong parts of code....hmmm....

I guess the other weird thing is the color issue (yellowing). It also
seems to be related to the BusID setting. If I use 0:16:0 in the device
sections then its yellow. If I use 0:10:0 in just the external crt
device section (an incorrect value per your earlier comments) then the
colors are all ok on both screens etc...

In any case I appreiciate your comments. I guess I really want to get
down to enabling the dual-head mode first and then I can worry about any
flickering and color issues secondarily. On that note I looked at my
XF86 log file and noticed the following error:

(EE) RADEON (0): FBIOPAN_DISPLAY: Invalid argument

This end up being in the fb_ioctl function in the kernel fbmem.c
module.I am not sure whats going on in this particular section so maybe
you can comment.

thanks again,

-dean andreakis