cpufreq on a iBook 2.2 700MHz [was: Re: cpufreq on TiBook 400 MHz]

Hi,

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > The time reported by xpmumon and klaptopd have increased by some estimated
> > 10%. (from 180 Min to 200 Min.)
> >
> > As far as I can tell, it runs as fine. I will report any trouble.
>
> Can you change #undef DEBUG_FREQ to #define DEBUG_FREQ in pmac_cpufreq.c ?
>
> That will force the driver to recalc the bogomips on speed change. Once
> done, check that the recalculated bogomips changes to about 600 at
> low speed and back to about 800 when running at full speed.

I got a question here.  I have a 700MHz iBook 2.2 and I wonder whether
it scales the cpu frequency dynamically based on load and policy.

Ie:

17:19 root@bart:/home/viktor # echo 0:0:700000:performance > /proc/cpufreq
17:20 root@bart:/home/viktor # cat /proc/cpufreq
          minimum CPU frequency  -  maximum CPU frequency  -  policy
CPU  0       400000 kHz ( 57 %)  -     700000 kHz (100 %)  -  performance
17:20 root@bart:/home/viktor # cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : 750FX
temperature     : 36 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 700MHz
revision        : 1.2 (pvr 7000 0102)
bogomips        : 1389.36
machine         : PowerBook4,3
motherboard     : PowerBook4,3 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
board revision  : 00000001
detected as     : 257 (iBook 2 rev. 2)
pmac flags      : 0000000b
L2 cache        : 512K unified
memory          : 256MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

17:20 root@bart:/home/viktor # echo 0:0:700000:powersave > /proc/cpufreq
17:21 root@bart:/home/viktor # cat /proc/cpufreq
          minimum CPU frequency  -  maximum CPU frequency  -  policy
CPU  0       400000 kHz ( 57 %)  -     700000 kHz (100 %)  -  powersave
17:21 root@bart:/home/viktor # cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : 750FX
temperature     : 38 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 400MHz
revision        : 1.2 (pvr 7000 0102)
bogomips        : 793.92
machine         : PowerBook4,3
motherboard     : PowerBook4,3 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
board revision  : 00000001
detected as     : 257 (iBook 2 rev. 2)
pmac flags      : 0000000b
L2 cache        : 512K unified
memory          : 256MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

Note the difference in the clock speed and bogomips counter.  So static
scaling seems to work.

However, when I generate load in the powersave mode, the clock speed and
bogomips count stay the same.  The only difference I see is in the cpu
temperature, which starts to climb very fast.  Is this an indication of
higher cpu speed?  Or is it still clocked at 400MHz?

Ciao,
Viktor