Re: ibook2 help

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 06:11:20PM -0700, Demented Blitz wrote:
> I followed these instructions..
> http://mij.oltrelinux.com/ibook/step_step/index.html#new_kernel
> I get these two errors at boot time..
> run-parts: component /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/debug-enter is not an executable plain file
> run-parts: component /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks.d/debug-exit is not an executable plain file

Hm. Strange, but doesn't sound harmful.

> i get an ip on eth0
> which in this case is airport, which shouldn't be, it should be eth1..

You need to build your kernel with the SunGEM driver (not bmac or gmac).

> once i enter run level two, i get.. starting hotplug subsystem usb*** can't synthesize root hub events

Install the 'usbutils' package. Then the hotplug scripts will be able to
check for devices that are plugged in at boot, and initialize them as
needed. Normally you won't have any USB devices (except the software
modem, if your iBook has one), so this probably won't make a big
difference at the moment.

> then i get this error
> depmod: unresolved symbols in /ib/modules/2.4.2-ben10/kernel/drivers/char/drm/gamma.o

Ignore this. You don't have a Gamma board (a 3Dlabs video card) anyway.
That's just the kernel direct rendering module for that board. 'rm' that
file if it really bothers you, but it won't hurt anything.

> starting alsa sound driver( version 0.9.0beta12): no sound cards defined..

You probably need to build and install the modules for ALSA, and make
sure that the appropriate driver (snd-powermac, I think?) is loaded.
Read /usr/share/doc/alsa-source/README.Debian.gz for more info.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net