Re: Radeon 9000 If (RV250), Mac G4 (Wintunnel) problems with XFree86

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 11:52, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have several problems with the ATI Radeon drivers in XFree on my Mac G4
> Windtunnel (dual 1.4GHz).

> 2) In all configurations colors are completely wrong
> 3) closing X blanks all monitors
>
> I have tested following versions of XFree86:
> Debian sid "officail" 4.2.1
> Michel Daenzer's 4.2.1 DRI build
> Debian "inoffical" 4.3.0
> latest CVS build (by myself) as of yesterday (4.3.99...)

Ok, CVS is the really interesting one. Michel, did you ever commit
the fix of SURFACE_CNTL ? That should fix the colors at least on
the main aperture

> The first two worked even worse (no image at all), so in the following I'll
> refer to the later two which produce exactly the same results.
>
> .../...
>
> Probelm 2)
> No matter what combination (dual or single head) the colors are always wrong.
> This is independent of the depth used (every time differently "wrong" colors
> of course).

That is probably the SURFACE_CNTL problem.

> Problem 3)
> Shutting down X blanks both screens - i.e. the frame buffer is not correctly
> restored. This is somewhat painful since after closing X you can access the
> box via ssh only.

Typical with offb, X doesn't properly restore the radeon state to offb
graphics mode it seems.

> Other relevant info:
> kernel is 2.4.20-ben10 (the devel versions crash), frame buffer works only
> with "video=ofonly".

Can you tell me more about the "crash" ? The benh-devel rsync should
work just fine on this config with more radeonfb fixes. Framebuffer
should work too without video=ofonly. Can you try my latest devel
kernel and tell me ? If it boots but with no framebuffer, can you
try to capture the boot log to a file and send it to me.

(Please, let's continue the kernel related discussion separately and
offlist)

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>