No compiling of benh10 kernel on my Wallstreet

Hi again,

I have a problem with the compilation of the actual benh10 kernel on my
Wallstreet PowerBook G3.

I have the debian woody version running fine with the benh9 kernel.
When I use the gcc compiler v. 2.95.4-14 (-11woody1) from the stable tree, I
make the following observations:

1. I only can use `make config' . When I try to use `make menuconfig' , an
error message comes up and tells that I have to use `Ncurses' to run `make
menuconfig'. ncurses is installed, but Ncurses (capital N!) I can't find on
the stable tree. But nontheless I can make the configuration file and start
`make vmlinux'.

Before I compile the kernel I use `make clean'.

2. the compilation with `make vmlinux' takes about 20 minutes and no error
messages come up. Also `make modules' and `make modules_install' are running
without a glitch.

3. After copying the System.map, the vmlinux and the config file to the
/boot directory and the vmlinux file to the Linux Kernel Folder in the
System Folder of my MacOS9 partition, I try to boot with the new kernel.
After abt. 3 seconds of booting time, I get the following message on top of
the screen:

<0>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:03
    <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds...

The last lines on the screen before it halts say:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hde3" or 21:03
<0>Kernel panic...

I made several retries with a freshly rsynced /usr/src/benh_kernel folder
but nothing changed.

Then I thought to use a newer gcc compiler and I installed the only
available gcc from the unstable tree of the version 3.3-2.
When I use this version I also can only use the `make config' command. The
compiling of the kernel with `make vmlinux' takes abt 9 minutes and halts
with the following error messages:

In file included from ide-cd.c:318:
ide-cd.h:440: error: long, short, signed or unsigned used invalidly for
`slot-tablelen'
make[3]: *** [ide-cd.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/benh_kernel/drivers/ide'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/benh_kernel/drivers/ide'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_ide] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/benh_kernel/drivers'
make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2
$:/usr/src/benh_kernel#

After this message no kernel has been compiled at all.

Can somebody tell me what is going on? Do I need a different gcc compiler
and where to get it? Or does the compiling with the 2.95 gcc compiler depend
on some settings in the config file? I made `make config' with the original
settings suggested.

Please tell me, what I am doing wrong

Befu