Re: cdrecord and devfs

On  19 May, this message from Martin Kuball echoed through cyberspace:
> I have an iBook 2.2 with debian 3.0. My kernel is 2.4.20-ben10 and I'm
> using devfs.
>
> When I try to run cdrecord (version 1.10) as root I get the following
> message:
>
> # cdrecord -v speed=3 dev=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd:@
> blank=fast Cdrecord 1.10 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd:@'
> devname: '/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> cdrecord: Read-only file system. Cannot open
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmmm, read-only? Can you check permissions on the deice nodes and, more
importantly, how devfs is mounted? If that gives no clue, run cdrecord
under strace and see what it is doing to produce this error.

> '/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd'.
> Cannot open SCSI driver.cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord
> -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
>
> calling cdrecord -scanbus gives:
>
> # cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.10 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
> Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

Do you have scsi-generic (aka sg) support? I think cdrecord needs it.

> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> are root.
>
> Mounting a CD or ripping a DVD with transcode works just fine. Does
> anybody know how to make it work for cdrecord, too?

This leads me to believe that the SCSI device for the CD is OK (though
maybe read-only?)... check the above things and report back.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |