installer fussy about CDs

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone experienced a particular problem while installing
deb particularly when it comes to accessing packages from a cd. Many
times (I;ve been thru it at least 5 times) the installer would freeze after I put
in a cd which turned out to have just smudge and sometimes just a few
scratches on it.

This was particularly annoing because I had been thru a meticulous manual
package selection twice before and then have all my effort come to nothing
by having to restart the frozen machine.

Anyone has any ideas ... it may be the DVD-rom drive in my beige g3... I'm
all ears.

Thanks

Simon