apple_modem_detritus_tsunami

I just installed woody  on an ibook (ibook 2 dual usb 500 w/internal
serial modem) and  /var/log (actually, messages and syslog) is getting
filled incredibly rapidly with modem crud, and threatens to overwhelm
what little space i have with modem crud (see below).
In three days of dialup browsing, email and such the var/log partition had
grown to over 360 MB (log rotate is installed).
My question is : how do i figure out what causes this
behaviour and how to stop it.
I read somewhereb that adding "MOLO" to the modem init script would do
the trick, tried adding that to both /etc/chatscripts and /etc/diald/connect
no change. Either i'm adding it in the wrong place or that's not it.
This is what i'm  talking about :

May  2 07:08:07 ibian chat[13106]:
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww^A^A^A^Arrrrrtttttm
May  2 07:08:07 ibian chat[13106]:
mjjjjj____]]]]]SSSSSVVVVVRRRROOOOOOOOOO@@@@@AAAAA^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^A^A^A^
2 07:08:07 ibian chat[13106]:
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
2 07:08:07 ibian chat[13106]:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
May  2 07:08:07 ibian chat[13106]:
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvuuvv
May  2 07:08:07 ibian chat[13106]:
vvvuvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
May  2 07:08:07 ibian chat[13106]:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Either that or please tell me how to send it to /dev/null before it overpowers
the whole drive.
Thanx,

--
jean-michel