Re: sysct/kernel variables error

On   1 May, this message from Orion Buckminster Montoya echoed through
cyberspace:
>> I tried setting:
>> /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation=1
>> /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode=88
>> /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode=125
>>
>> but at boot a message displays saying "Setting kernel variables.error:
>> /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/[etc.] is an unknown key.
>
> I can't tell from your message whether you have the right format in
> /etc/sysctl.conf.  It should be:
>
> dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation = 1
> dev.mac_hid.mouse_button2_keycode = 88
> dev.mac_hid.mouse_button3_keycode = 125
>
> anything else will be an unknown key.

I don't know about that specific format with '.' inbetween words, but
mine works perfectly well with the usual '/'. However, the key vs. what
Nathan configured is omitting the leading '/proc/sys/'. Since this file
controls sysctl, i.e. everything under /proc/sys....

> Speaking of which, does anyone know what sysctl keys I should use for
> setting cpufreq?  I can do it on the command line with echo but I
> haven't figured out what to say in sysctl.

Well, I'd suppose follow the same format. That however mandates having
the cpufreq control under /proc/sys, where IIRC it is not (yet?) at this
time.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |