Re: burn cd on mac for new pc server - how?

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 02:23:22PM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> I've downloaded a new custom debian install iso for a Dell PowerEdge
> 2650 from
> http://mirror.devolus.org/debian-cd/debian-netinst/steve/bootbf2.4_2.3.20.iso
>
> I've tried to burn CDs using OSX 10.2.4 opening the iso and dragging the
> contents to the CD, and also just copying the iso image to the CD.
> Nothing is successful!

You need a program to burn the iso image, it's not just a filesystem
copy. Perhaps Disk Copy will do it, if not then Toast or with a linux
machine, mkisofs. The iso has booting features which don't get copied
in a filesystem copy.

> Also the rescue file seems to be in an odd location to be able to boot
> from it. Comments gratefully received!
>
>     .
>     |-- basedebs.tar
>     |-- boot
>     |   `-- rescue.bin
>     |-- boot.catalog
>     `-- dists
>         `-- woody
>             |-- main
>             |   `-- disks-i386
>             |       `-- current
>             |           |-- bf24
>             |           |   `-- drivers.tgz
>             |           `-- images-144
>             |               `-- bf24
>             |                   `-- rescue.bin ->
>             `-- release

Nice chart! The powerpc doesn't use rescue.bin to boot, it uses
yaboot, linux.bin, and root.bin. And you're not looking for bf24, you
don't have a 386. Look in disks-powerpc, for a 2.4 kernel you want
new-powermac. If it's not there, maybe you got an i386 CD set instead
of powerpc?

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org

Chris Tillman