Re: RS6000 model 44p 170

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:43:46AM +0100, Michael Cameron wrote:
> > I'm looking for help installing linux on this system.  I have seen many
> > howto's but I do not have a boot server so can't apply them directly.
I've
> > got a set of debian 3.0r1 CD's and tried using SMS to change the boot
order
> > to boot from them but it just went straight to AIX (I saw no error
> > messages).  I then tried creating boot floppies (using dd under AIX)
but the
> > same happened when booting.  I then tried using SMS to get to Open
Firmware
> > (of which I know very very little) and tried a variety of "boot"
commands.
> > All resulted in "Unrecognized Client Program format" and "state not
valid"
> > messages.
> >
> > Should the debian cd image created from
> > debian-30r1-powerpc-binary-1_NONUS.iso be bootable?
> > If so, how do I convince SMS to boot from it?
> > If not how should I create a boot floppy that will work and how do I
get SMS
> > to boot that?
>
> AIUI, it's the kernel that's the main problem. The kernels in the
> Debian archive don't work. Try downloading the kernel referenced
> by Rolf's HOWTO, and replacing both linux.bin and rescue.bin in
> the CD-ROM image with that. I don't think the CD is auto-bootable,
> but you might be able to boot it from the console. No one recently,
> AFAIK, has had success with floppies.
>
> http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/prep
>
> (Let me know if this page can be updated.)
>
> --
> http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org
>
> Chris Tillman
> - Linux Rox -
>

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

I am in the process of updating/simplifying my HOWTO and adding precompiled
kernels that can be downloaded from my web site. I have recently stumbled
into some problems installing that I have not seen before with
boot-floppies. I am currently trying to figure out what is going on, and in
parallel see how far I can get with d-i, which Chris indicated he may be
able to supply me.

Once I have gotten this resolved, I will continue trying to figure out how
to create a single PREP/CHRP bootable CD.

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth
pSeries System Engineering & Integration, IBM Enterprise Systems Group