Re: Video out on powerbook

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 06:20:45PM -0500, Andrei Smirnov wrote:
> > There was a few solutions discussed a few weeks ago (rebooting from
> > osx to linux, booting with the VGA pluged in, ...). You should check the
> > archive.
> I made a serach for m6mirror in debian-laptop, and in all debian archives,
> but could not find any match. I also looked specifically at debian-laptop
> for Feb. 2003, and coul not see anything. I would appreciate, if you could
> give me more directions where to find this information.

Don't worry I hit this problem and had a lot of trouble finding
information on it too.  As a summary of what I found out -- if you
have the ATI Radeon Mobility chip then m3mirror won't work for you,
it's only for Rage based chips.

You can try turning on the laptop and then quickly shutting the
screen; this makes OpenFirmware decide an external monitor is attached
and will bring it up.  This works for me on my iBook, but the laptop
screen is corrupt while this is active so it's not really "mirroring".
Another option is to boot into OS X and then reboot into linux, which
would be working on a similar principle I guess.  I haven't tried
this.

It seems that some people with the later benh kernels have it working
if you boot with the monitor plugged in, as there is some extra code
that requests OpenFirmware open all attached monitors.  For me, with
an iBook, I get a solid white screen if I do this, but no actual
mirror.  With earlier kernels I got nothing.

So in summary, try the open/close trick on boot.

-i
ianw@gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au