Re: Trouble with Dual boot MacOSX/Woody - Yaboot on G4 Gigabit

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 11:13  pm, vinai wrote:

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Clive Menzies wrote:

Thanks for this.  It raises a couple of questions:
1.	In the yaboot HOWTO it recommends re-ordering the Apple_bootstrap
partition to 2 - yours is on 9 and presumably works OK.  Why the
recommendation?

I believe Ethan recommended to do it this way because if you ever did a
PRAM reset, OF would start looking for bootable partitions. Putting the
Apple_bootstrap partition at #2 means it would be the first bootable
partition OF encountered, and would boot your machine from it.

2.	You say that the MacOS partition needs to be installed physically
after Linux - would reordering the partitions have the same effect?  I
guess it would involve editing yaboot.conf and /etc/fstab files.  Is
this to be recommended?

I THINK you're right. When I had Potato (2.2) on my Lombard, I installed
linux on the "higher" partitions than Mac OS.  IIRC - Ethan recommended
reordering the partitions logically, so that yaboot's Apple_bootstrap
would be at logical partition #2 in the disk partition table, but would
physically be after Mac OS on the HD.  I ended up not doing that and
leaving things as they were - and it worked well enough for me for as
long as I had Debian on there.

I don't think your failure to boot is because of where your partitions
are on your drive.  You might want to check your yaboot.conf and fstab
files again, just to rule those out ...

If I boot from OF using "boot hd:2,yaboot" Linux boots fine, which suggests that /etc/fstab is OK (none of the MacOS partitions are referred to in here).

Within yaboot.conf I have the following lines:
macosx=hd:10 (which is where OS9.2 and OSX reside)
brokenosx (this was added from an earlier suggestion but makes no perceptible difference)

all other lines in yaboot.conf refer to booting Linux

The problem seems to be related to ybin(or yaboot) looking for a "second stage bootstrap" and not finding it. I come back to the mac-fdisk basics page which shows:
Apple_Boot MacOSX_Bootstrap
Apple_Second MacOSX_Second_stage
These partitions don't appear on my disk (I presume 'cos I installed over OS9.2). So yaboot (or Forth as Derek P indicated) is not finding enough information to put up the multiboot menu.

I see Chris T has just posted a response asking to see my yaboot.conf and /etc/fstab. I've not yet got my act together e-mailing from Linux (this is coming from Mac side) so I'll have to boot into Linux and come back ;-)

Thanks

Clive