Re: ALSA Strangeness

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:07:46 -0800
Mark Williams <mkwilliams@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> 	Recently, I set up ALSA on my iBook using the debian packages and make-kpkg. I managed to get everything set up in accordance with Mij's page this time (ie, make-kpkg modules worked), which is nice. However, I can't adjust the volume; it's always very, very low. Also, alsamixer will load, but if I start xmms with the alsa-xmms output plugin loaded, I receive the following errors:
> (before playing anything):
> "snd_mixer_attach: No such file or directory"
> (after trying to play something):
> "error opening alsa device: No such file or directory"

i have never installed alsa from the debs, only from source but when installing from source it is necessary to run a script called 'snddevices' that comes with the alsa-driver source. This script creates a load of devices in /dev/ relating to audio. It sounds like maybe this script hasn't been run. You could get the alsa-driver tarball from alsa and run the script to find out.

- matthew