Re: ALSA on TiBook (for Mij, too)

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:07:27 +1100 (EST)
Andrew Nesbit <alnesbit@discus.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> I've heard reports that ALSA does work with the Snapper sound device in
> TiBooks, but I've not been able to find any documentation on how to do it.
>
> What level of support actually is provided? Is it necessary to use the CVS
> sources?
>
> Thankyou.
>
> Andrew.

Funny you should ask... I just set up ALSA on my iBook today. We seem to have the same sound device, so hopefully the following will be helpful:

Mij's iBook page is quite useful (Thanks!). Do install the alsa-source package, along with alsa-base, alsa-utils, and libasound2. While installing it, you might run into an error along the lines of "/etc/alsa/alsa.conf.tmp: Not a directory." Apparently, /etc/alsa should be a directory, not a config file as it ends up being. This might've been worked out already. If it hasn't been, mv /etc/alsa /etc/alsa.conf.tmp, then mkdir /etc/alsa and mv /etc/alsa.conf.tmp /etc/alsa. The package should finish install with nary a complaint after that. Also, Mij talks about installing the modules via make-kpkg; when I tried this, the resulting package conflicted with my custom kernel package. So, compile the source that ends up in /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver by hand. You'll want to pass configure the following arguments: --with-oss=yes --with-cards=powermac. Make install it and add yourself to the audio group, and you should be good to go.

By the by, if you use xmms and intend to use the alsa-xmms package, you'll need to change something in its configuration. After selecting it as your output plugin, click the "Configure" button. The resulting dialog may end up behind the main preferences dialog; if so, move it out of the way, right? OK, click the device settings tab, and switch "User defined" off. Before I did this, my audio files played... strangely.

Sheesh. Hope that helped, and good luck. Fortunately, you're part of an excellent community.

Cheers,

Mark