Re: Keeeeyboard problems

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, A.J. Rossini wrote:

> EGS> In the past week I have been suffering from a rather odd
> EGS> bug (or pair of bugs perhaps) on my woody iBook: keys on
> EGS> the keyboard seem to be sticking down and my mouse is quite
> EGS> jerky.  This problem has not cropped up in Mac OS X and I
> EGS> am pretty sure it isn't my hardware, but that is obviously
> EGS> not a proof.
>
> I have problems with an extremely sensitive trackpad, resulting in the
> latter.  A USB mouse and adjusting the trackpad setting via pbbuttonsd
> helped.
>
> Making sure that my palms are off the "palm rest" helps even more.

The mouse is actually quite smooth most of the time -- I can trace circles
with it quite easily -- it just jerks a few times now and then when this
bug is happening.  I don't think it is the same problem as when I
accidentally touch other bits of the touchpad.

I was thinking the mouse problem might be more to do with some other
process blocking the IO bits of the kernel, but I am not really sure what
I have to do to test this (other than watch `top` that is).  Is there any
sort of useful debugging tool I can use that tells me when processes are
doing (or rather, are blocked on) lots of IO?

Also, I sometimes get the error `fork: resource temporarily unavailable'
two or three times a day while listening to music with xmms, and it seems
to be fixed by killing xmms.  Perhaps this is related?

Waiting to feel foolish by being given a much simpler explanation,

Ed :)