scaling cpu frequency on new ibook 2.2?

Hi, as I was checking some files in the /cat dir for fun some days ago I saw the following lines in "/proc/cpufreq":

$ cat /proc/cpufreq
     minimum CPU frequency - maximum CPU frequency - policy
CPU  0  400000 kHz ( 57 %) -   700000 kHz (100 %)  - performance

Does this mean that my G3 700MHz CPU is always running in performance mode no matter what I'm doing? Is there any possibility to change this setting to a kind of "battery" instead of "performance policy"?

Thanks,
Florian Feigenbutz.