How to switch fn key setting

Hello

There's a utility called fnset (it's one file fnset.c which has been floating around in the lists) which is supposed to switch the fn key setting on powerbooks/ibooks/whatever under linux. I've never succeeded to get it to actually switch the setting on my powerbook g3 lombard (333mhz). Not that big a deal, I rebooted into MacOS9 each time I needed to change it and started the Keyboard control panel to do its duty.

But now I'm faced with a Pb G3 Pismo (500mhz) and somehow this darn fnset thing won't work on it either. Am I dumb? Not a big deal I thought and rebooted into MacOSX (there's no MacOS9 on this book). Hmm, the keyboard control panel from X doesn't offer any fn key switch! Feeling really dumb now.

Are you all hitting Cmd-Ctl-Fn-F1, Fn-F4 etc all the time or is there a real way to toggle Apple's default?

Christian.