Re: TerraSoft PPC Motherboard.

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 simon@nuit.ca wrote:

> just wondering, how long *does* it take to build a kernel on say,
> voltaire or the x86 (C3 was it?), cuz here a kernel build is about
> 2 hours - 604e/185 MHz, 84 MB RAM.
>
> is there a way to speed this up to say 1 hour, or 1 hour 1/2 without
> upgrading the CPU? more RAM maybe? i don't have 200-300$ to spend on
> a cpu upgrade.

Thread your "make" jobs with the -j switch, e.g.

    $ make -j2 vmlinux

I'm not sure how much it will help, but it is something fairly easy you
can try.  The caveat is a few times - I've had one thread get ahead of
the other, so the build target fails.  But if you run the same command
again, the build usually completes.

cheers
vinai