Re: ATI rage 128 on the TiBook 400, alternative resolutions

On Mit, 2003-01-08 at 19:34, Antony Lesuisse wrote:
> I own a TiBook 1st generation, G4 400Mhz, rage 128 8Mo RAM, LCD
> resolution of 1152x768, and i only have Debian installed.
>
> I'm using:
>     - XFree86 version: 4.2.1.1.
>     - Kernel 2.4.20-ben1. r128 module.
>     - resolution of 1152x768x16
> And everything works well. Xv works and OpenGL windows are accelerated.
>
> I know that with the same hardware under MacOS 9, you have to possiblity
> to change the resolution of the screen to 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768.
> When you choose a resolution smaller than the physical LCD, the
> framebuffer is automatically scaled fullscreen and anti-aliased.
>
> I notice that when you use Xv extension to display YUV framebuffers, you
> may scale it fullscreen using hardware (mplayer does it). But when SDL
> applications enable the fullscreen mode they stay in the center of the
> screen.
>
> Is it possible to
>     - start the X server in an alternative resolution on the LCD, having
>       it scaled or not ?

Not out of the box unfortunately, but if you're desperate for this,
there's a couple of things you can try:

      * http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/hacks/aty128fb-scaling.diff:
        aty128fb patch by Adrian Cox I used to use on the Pismo,
        unfortunately the panel resolution is hardcoded, and even
        changing that didn't seem to work for some TiBook users.
      * http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/hacks/r128-vgaHW.diff: with this
        patch, you can use the r128 driver without Option "UseFBDev" and
        then enable programming of the flat panel register by specifying
        the panel resolution with options "PanelWidth" and "PanelHeight"

In both cases, finding suitable mode definitions may be a problem. They
need to have the same width to height ratio as the panel if you want to
preserve the aspect ratio, the VidMode extension will take care of
matching the resolutions the apps request to those modes and centering
them. For the mode definitions, the way that worked best for me was to
start from the native mode and then only changing the resolution but
keeping the timings. You'll hopefully get the idea from the attached
/etc/fb.modes I used on the Pismo.

>     - having the SDL_FULLSCREEN flag working ?

That should work once you have suitable modes.

BTW, with Radeon chips this does work out of the box with my current
packages if they detect the panel via DDC, in particular on the 1280x854
TiBooks. All that's needed is a line like

	Modes	"1280x854" "1152x768" "1026x684" "900x600" "801x534" "720x480"
"642x428"

in the display subsection.

> I would like to thank the people who took care of the various tibook
> drivers, especially Michel Daenzer and Benjamin Herrenschmidt, allowing
> us to run smoothly Debian on this great hardware.

People seem to be very thankful these days. :) You're welcome.

PS: Anyone who tries these suggestions does so on his own risk of
course. I used to play with stuff like that quite a lot on the Pismo
without it having any bad effects, for what that's worth.

PPS: Your last name is my nationality. :)

mode "640x480"
    geometry 640 480 640 480 8
    timings 15385 160 24 29 3 136 6
endmode