Re: DRI not working with ATI Radeon M7

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 16:26, Jack Howarth wrote:

>    I would be surprised if it was a gcc mismatch. I run the debian
> sid xfree86 4.2.1 packages built with gcc 2.95.4 against benh kernels
> built with gcc 3.2 all the time and have never had a problem with
> dri loading, This is using agpgart under debian ppc. Are you sure you
> haven't left bits of a previous XFree86 installation behind?

I haven't mentioned XFree86, only the kernel and the DRM, though on
second thought there could also be problems when mixing compilers
between kernel components and XFree86, but probably different ones.

What happens here is that the drmSetBusId ioctl, which is definitely
_inside the kernel_ (in the DRM to be exact), thinks it doesn't have the
permissions to do what it's supposed to do, even though it's called from
the X server running as root. The only cause for that I can imagine (and
which has been confirmed several times on the dri-devel list to cause
such problems) is a mismatch between the views of the kernel and the DRM
on the kernel data structures holding capabilities.

Hope this clarifies a bit instead of creating even more confusion...