Re: [nevermind..]iBook and Video (RTFM bait... I know)

I'm continuing this thread, not to annoy everyone -- but in case there is
someone like myself that just hasn't been willing to ask.

dpates@dsdk12.net said:
> If it's an early-gen square iBook, it'll have a RageM3, which is a
> laptop version of the Rage128, and _extremely_ well supported on Linux.

Woo hoo!  It is the first of the first square iBooks, so I'm certain it
has that chip.

> Make sure you're using the aty128fb kernel framebuffer driver,

Again.. my ignorance..  How do I make sure I'm using that?

> the 'ati' driver (or r128 driver, same thing) in your X config (and
> enable UseFBDev).

That part I'm sure is right.  I changed it recently from 'ati' to 'r128'
-- apparently it doesn't matter.  (Thanks for clearing that part up)

> You'll get XVideo acceleration, and you should also be

Hmm..  I think perhaps I *do* have XVideo acceleration, but I'm not sure
how to tell.  The only thing that doesnt' work "super snappy" is something
like tux-racer, which perhaps needs 3d accel?

> able to get hardware GL support (with AGP support, if you use BenH's
> kernel) without too much trouble.

GL support, meaning 3d accel?  Can you point me to where I might figure
out how to do that "without too much trouble?"

I thank you very much for your patience.  I'm one heck of a sysadmin, and
can network with the best of 'em -- but xwindows configuration is all new
to me.  Thank you again,

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers