Re: Samba 3 on Sarge ppc

On mar, 2002-12-10 at 20:45, Gary Sandine wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 08:35, Arnaud Bled wrote:
> > i would like to install Samba 3 on a Sarge ppc , but without upgrade to
> > Sid, is there a procedure to upgrade only Samba ?
>
> I would add a sid entry to sources.list, do apt-get update, and then try
>
> # apt-get install [whatever samba packages I want to upgrade]
>
> and see what it tells me I need.  This way, only Samba and necessary
> packages to use Samba 3 will be updated.  (Assuming Samba 3 is available
> in sid, which I have not checked.)
>
> When done, remove the sid entry from sources.list and apt-get update.

I have the sources for testing always in my sources. What I do is but
a pin on the stable distribution:

/etc/apt/preferences

# This system is tracking Woody
# but we have installed packages from testing
# 989 is the automatic priority
# When using -t testing to install a package, it gets priority 990
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 989

You can then use apt-get install -t testing samba

Another solution could be to try to "backport" the sarge .deb to woody.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis@Contre.COM