Re: recommendation for stats and linear algebra software for PPC Linux

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:06:02 -0500 Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:
> If I am first and foremost looking for something to replace SAS/stat and
> SPSS primarily for statistics, general linear models, regression instead
> of my now ancient fortran code that invoked EISPACK routines to solve
> linear models,  are these the right packages to be looking at and playing
> with?

R is definitely your best bet. If you are somewhat familiar with S-Plus, R will be no problem. Also, you might want to sign onto their mailing list, many helpful people!

R is a great replacement for SAS/Stat granted your datasets are reasonably sized or you have sick amounts of memory. All "working" R data objects are stored in memory as opposed to SAS datasets. It's all ported to Win32 and Mac OS. Good luck.
The only other thing is that none of the current tools have quite the level of GUI interaction that SPSS offers.

jess